Guiltless Chinese Stir-Fry
Growing up the best food in town was Dragon China, the local Chinese food stop. When you walked in, the bells would hit the glass front door as the owner ran up front and called out your usual order. This was partly because he was a wizard and partly because you probably ate there way too much! We didn't eat out a lot growing up... so I have some seriously fond memories of Dragon China. Who would've thought a small town Midwest gal would consider Chinese as comfort food!?
I introduce to you, my grown up Chinese grub... it'll leave you feeling satisfied but not fearing you'll explode like a bird on wedding rice!
- 8-10 boneless skinless chicken tenderloins
- avocado or olive oil
- 3c. frozen cauliflower rice*
- 1c chopped red bell pepper
- 1.5c shredded carrots
- 2c. frozen broccoli*
- 2c. kale
- 2c. bok choy
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 6 scallions, chopped
- liquid aminos (like soy sauce-I use Bragg's brand)
- salt + pepper
* you can use fresh ingredients as well, simply adjust your cook.
- Season chicken with salt + pepper, then cook chicken thoroughly in skillet.
- Remove cooked chicken from skillet to cool, then cut into thin strips
- Thaw frozen broccoli + cauli rice. Remove any moisture you can with a paper towel.
- In a large med-hot skillet, add oil to pan.
- Add red bell pepper, shredded carrots, and broccoli to pan. Season lightly with salt.
- As your vegetables in the pan begin to cook (but before they brown), add cauliflower rice, shallots, and half of your scallions. Lightly add salt + pepper. (the liquid aminos will add salt to the stir-fry, so be light-handed with seasonings)
- Constantly flip the stir-fry and allow any moisture to evaporate. When veggies are cooked thoroughly (but before they brown), add liquid aminos slowly. I add about a tablespoon at a time until I get the flavor I love.
- Add kale, boy choy, and sliced chicken. Stir and cook down your leafy vegetables. after adding these ingredients, test your flavor and add liquid aminos, salt, or pepper as desired. I like some of my veggies to brown lightly so I allow the mix to cook a bit longer!
- Remove from heat, add remaining scallions on top + enjoy!