Simple Taco Salad
BEST DAMN WORK LUNCH EVER. Award winning.
Okay, okay... I *really* love tacos but hate how I feel after I leave a Mexican restaurant. So, I created this simple, clean, but flavor-packed taco salad ....and it just so happens to be great kept in the fridge for a few days + packed for lunch. I ate this a lot while I was losing weight, and I won't lie, it's a weekly meal in our home now. xo Sarah
- 3-4c chopped romaine lettuce
- 1/2lb lean meat (ground beef, chicken, or ground turkey)
- 1/2c black beans
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- organic salsa
- guacamole (check our recipe.... or I like to buy GoodFoods brand)
- 6oz plain greek yogurt
- taco seasonings: cumin, chili powder, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, oregano, pink salt, pepper
- optional: Garden of Eden spicy blue corn tortilla chips
- In a small pan, cook your protein of choice and add taco seasoning (shred chicken).
- Heat black beans on medium heat in a small sauce pan. Add salt + mash black beans. Once heated thoroughly, remove from heat, stir in half of the chopped cilantro, and set aside.
- Layer ingredients: lettuce, black bean mixture, meat, salsa, greek yogurt (sour cream replacement), guac, and top with a few pinches of cilantro.
- Eat as-is or with tortilla chips!
TAKING THIS TO WORK? in one larger container, add cold ingredients. then put meat + beans in a smaller container that you can warm up at work! once heated, add the proteins to the salad + enjoy! I skip the guac for lunches because I get freaked out by browned guac.
Also, I've found that this salad is still amazing if I am missing an ingredient or two. Sometimes I make everything from scratch... other times I use store-bought guac and salsa. Pictured below is another taco salad I've made!