FEMME FRIDAY: Alyssa Melody
The first installment of Femme Friday brings a woman who has sincerely inspired me. I am so grateful to Alyssa for what she brings to the table as a female entrepreneur and as a natural health guru. On the daily, I will see + immediately duplicate a beautiful tonic she's using her adaptogens in. She is a definitive 'servantless badass woman'; boldly sharing her passion, spreading her knowledge and awakening a shroom-loving culture. She without a doubt embodies what True Co. aims to celebrate: fearless, amazing women changing the world, pursuing their passion and working hard to do it.
So soak up a little about the powerhouse babe behind Root & Bones, learn how she's created her company and go forth supporting her self-built business.
Alyssa Melody is an acupuncturist and Chinese herbalist living in rural Northern California. Inspired by the rich history and transformational powers of tonic herbs, she started Root&Bones as a way of sharing these medicines with a wider community.
How did you start your venture in entrepreneurship?
1. I started Root&Bones because of my passion and fascination with these powerful herbs. Im learning business as I go, and Im enjoying it, even though there are so many things to know and understand! The development part of Root&Bones took almost two years; researching, finding quality herb sources and choosing artwork. Its just me running it while continuing to do my acupuncture practice as well, so Im trying to find balance in both.
How long have you been an acupuncturist?
2. Ive been practicing acupuncture for 5 years
What is your favorite medicinal/tonic herb?
3. Reishi! Reishi was the first medicinal mushroom I ever tried, almost a decade ago when I started acupuncture school. I was instantly hooked. Barely a day has gone by in those 10 years that I haven't ingested some form of Reishi. I love that Reishi has so many benefits for the physical body, but also supports the nervous system, is great for stress, anxiety, and is even called 'The Mushroom of Spiritual Potency'. Reishi will be a part of my life forever.
What's next for Root & Bones?
4. We are currently working on carrying Pine Pollen, which is an incredible adaptogenic forest medicine. We also are looking into putting together some blends with different focuses like energy, stress, sleep..etc. When herb friends work together, the effect can be even more potent :)
Where do you get your inspiration from?
5. I get my inspiration straight from these herbs! I love that they have been used for thousands of years and were considered immortal tonics. Research being done on them today shows that they are just as incredible as the ancient texts have described, and with more and more scientific studies being done, they are starting to be accepted in todays modern world as medicine for the future. I love when somebody tells me how the herbs have positively impacted their life, there is no better feeling than hearing how someone has benefitted from them.
Find Root & bones:
Do you have someone in your life that inspires you? Someone that is a 'servantless badass woman'? Send us their contact info so we can celebrate them and share their awesome badass-ness with everyone.